Dr. Ivo Gallmetzer
Further research activities during education
Teaching and professional experience
- 1989 – 1996 Study of German Literature, Philosophy, Musical Sciences and Sociology at the University of Salzburg; final degree with distinction, M.Sc. thesis at the Department of Modern German Literature: "Poetry and criticism in the literature of Gerhard Amanshauser" (Supervisor Prof. Dr. Hans Hoeller)
- 1996 – 1998 Civil service in Bolzano, Italy
- 1998 – 2008 Study of Biology at the University of Vienna, specialization in Marine Biology; M.Sc. thesis at the Department of Marine Biology: "Slow growth and early sexual maturity: Bane and boon for the red coral Corallium rubrum" (Supervisors: Ao. Univ. Prof. Dr. Branko Velimirov and Prof. Dr. J. Ott), final degree with distinction
- 2013 – 2018 PhD studies in Earth Sciences at the University of Vienna, final degree with distinction
- Nov. 2019 Workshop "Science Communication" by the "Klaus-Tschira-Stiftung", Heidelberg, Germany
Further research activities during education
- 09/2001 Special Marine Ecology field course at the marine biology station STARESO, Calvi, Corsica, France, focussing on macrofaunal communities of submerged sea grass detritus
- 02/2002 Marine biology excursion to California, USA, including fieldwork projects in the intertidal in Bodega Bay
- 2003 Research assistant in the FWF Project P14142: “Leaf-cutter shrimp: Microbial gardens in marine sediments”. Principal investigator Dr. Peter Dworschak
- 2004 - 2005 Project leader for a study on the population ecology of the red coral Corallium rubrum at the marine biology station STARESO, Calvi, Corsica, France
- 2006 Project collaboration as scientific diver and assistant for the FWF-Project P17655-B03: “Oxygen crisis in the Northern Adriatic Sea”. Principal investigator Dr. M. Stachowitsch
- 2009 - 2011 Project collaboration as scientific diver and assistant for the FWF-Project P21542-B17 "Low dissolved oxygen events in the Adriatic". Principal investigator Dr. M. Stachowitsch
Teaching and professional experience
- 1990 – 2012 Parallel to the studies, work as professional lumberjack
- Since 2004 Lecturer at the Department of Evolutionary Biology at the University of Vienna
- 2008 – 2013 Self-employed as editor and translator (English-German) of scientific books.
- 2010 – 2012 Course instructor at the Marine School in Pula, Croatia (www.meeresschule.com)
- 2013 – 2019 Research associate at the University of Vienna, Department of Palaeontology
- WS 2019 Guest professor at the University of Vienna, Department of Palaeontology
- Tomašových, A., Berensmeier, M., Gallmetzer, I., Haselmair, A., and Zuschin, M.: Pyrite-lined shells as indicators of limited oxygen exposure time and inefficient bioirrigation in the Holocene-Anthropocene stratigraphic record, Biogeosciences Discuss. [preprint], https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-2021-153, in review, 2021.
- Tomašových, A., Gallmetzer, I., Haselmair, A. and Zuschin, M. (2021), Inferring time averaging and hiatus durations in the stratigraphic record of high-frequency depositional sequences. Sedimentology. Accepted Author Manuscript. https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12936
- Haselmair A, Gallmetzer I, Tomašových A, Wieser AM, Übelhör A, Zuschin M (2021) Basin-wide infaunalisation of benthic soft-bottom communities driven by anthropogenic habitat degradation in the northern Adriatic Sea. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 671:45-65. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps13759
- Tomašových, A., Gallmetzer, I., Haselmair, A., Kaufman, D.S., Mavrič, B. and Zuschin, M. (2019), A decline in molluscan carbonate production driven by the loss of vegetated habitats encoded in the Holocene sedimentary record of the Gulf of Trieste. Sedimentology, 66: 781-807. https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12516
- Adam Tomašových, Paolo G. Albano, Tomáš Fuksi, Ivo Gallmetzer, Alexandra Haselmair, Michał Kowalewski, Rafał Nawrot, Vedrana Nerlović, Daniele Scarponi and Martin Zuschin: Ecological regime shift preserved in the Anthropocene stratigraphic record. Proc. R. Soc. B. 287, 2020: 20200695 http://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2020.0695.
- Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Tomašových A., Zuschin M.: Tracing origin and collapse of Holocene benthic baseline communities in the northern Adriatic Sea, PALAIOS, 2019, 34(3), pp. 121-145.
- Fuksi T., Tomasovych A., Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Zuschin M.: 20th century increase in body size of a hypoxia-tolerant bivalve documented by sediment cores from the northern Adriatic Sea (Gulf of Trieste). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 2018, 135, pp. 361-375.
- Schnedl S.-M., Haselmair A., Gallmetzer I., Mautner A.-K., Tomašových A., Zuschin M.: Molluscan benthic communities at Brijuni Islands (northern Adriatic Sea) shaped by Holocene sea-level rise and recent human eutrophication and pollution, The Holocene, 2018, DOI: 10.1177/0959683618788651.
- Tomasovych A., Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Kaufman D., Kralj M., Cassin D., Zonta R., Zuschin M.: Tracing the effects of eutrophication on molluscan communities in sediment cores: outbreaks of an opportunistic species coincide with reduced bioturbation and high frequency of hypoxia in the Adriatic Sea. Paleobiology, 2018, dx.doi.org/10.1017/pab.2018.22.
- Tomasovych A., Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Kaufman D., MavriČ B., Zuschin M.: A decline in molluscan carbonate production driven by the loss of vegetated habitats encoded in the Holocene sedimentary record of the Gulf of Trieste. Sedimentology, 2018, DOI: 10.1111/sed.12516.
- Mautner A.-K., Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Schnedl S.-M., Tomašových A., Zuschin M.: Holocene ecosystem shifts and human-induced loss of Arca and Ostrea shell beds in the north-eastern Adriatic Sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 2018;126: 19-30. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2017.10.084.
- Albano P.G., Gallmetzer I, Haselmair A., Tomašových A., Stachowitsch M., Zuschin M.: Historical ecology of an alien invasion: the interplay of eutrophication and pollution determines time lags in establishment and detection. Biological Invasions, 2017. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10530-017-1634-7.
- Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Tomašových A., Stachowitsch M., Zuschin M. (2017): Responses of molluscan communities to centuries of human impact in the northern Adraitic Sea, PLoS ONE, 2017, 12.
- Tomašových A., Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Kaufman D.S., Vidović J., Zuschin M. (2017): Stratigraphic unmixing reveals repeated hypoxia events over the past 500 yr in the northern Adriatic Sea, Geology 45.
- Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Stachowitsch M., Zuschin M. (2016): An innovative piston corer for large-volume sediment samples, Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 14 (11): 698-717.
- Vidović J., Nawrot R., Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Tomašových A., Stachowitsch M., Ćosović V., Zuschin M. (2016): Anthropogenically induced environmental changes in the northeastern Adriatic Sea in the last 500 years (Panzano Bay, Gulf of Trieste), Biogeosciences 13 (21): 5965–5981.
- Gallmetzer I., Haselmair A., Velimirov B. (2010) Slow growth and early sexual maturity: Bane and boon for the red coral Corallium rubrum. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 90: 1-10.
- Gallmetzer I., Pflugfelder B., Zekely J., Ott, J.A.: Macrofauna diversity in Posidonia oceanica detritus: distribution and diversity of mobile macrofauna in shallow subinterval accumulations of Posidonia oceanica detritus. Marine Biology (2005) 147: 517 – 523.
- North American Paleontological Convention (NAPC), Riverside, USA, 2019 (talk, co-author)
- International Paleontological Congesss IPC5, Paris, France, 2018 (2 talks, co-author)
- Geological Society of America (GSA), Seattle, USA, 2017 (talk, co-author)
- 51st European Marine Biology Symposium (EMBS) Rhodes, Greece, 2016 (talk and poster)
- European Geosciences Union General Assembly (EGU) Vienna, 2016 (talk and poster)
- ASLO Aquatic Science Meeting Granada, Spain, 2015 (poster)
- European Geosciences Union General Assembly (EGU) Vienna, 2015 (talk and poster)
- European Geosciences Union General Assembly (EGU) Vienna, 2014 (talk and poster)
- Biology and ecology of marine organisms;
- Long-term changes in anthropogenically affected marine habitats;
- Reconstruction of ecological baselines in marine systems;
- Mollusc community shifts as indicators of ecological dynamics;
- The impacts of fisheries and marine conservation;
- Science communication in print media;
- Teaching marine science and conservation to kids and a non-professional public;
Curator of the collection Myriapoda / staff scientist
biological technical assistant
Dworschak Peter C.
Associated scientist / formerly curator of the collection Crustacea
curator of the collection Mollusca / staff scientist
curator of the collection Evertebrata Varia
Associated scientist / formerly curator of the collection Arachnoidea
Head of the 3. Zoological Department / curator of the collection Arachnoidea / staff scientist
Project researcher, Myriapoda collection assistant
collection assistant in the collection Mollusca (temporary replacement for Schnedl)
Associated scientist / formerly head of department and curator of the collection Evertebrata varia
collection assistant in the collections Arachnoidea & Crustacea
Schnedl Sara Maria
collection assistant in the collection Mollusca
curator of the collection Crustacea / staff scientist
Associated scientist / formerly curator of the collection Myriapoda