- TETTRIs – Transforming European Taxonomy through Training, Research and Innovations
The community of institutions, collections and experts, including the NHM Vienna, which are part of the CETAF taxonomic network, works closely together to gather taxonomic knowledge and expertise required to study, protect and manage biological diversity throughout Europe. We want to provide easy and open access to know-how and resources that should be sustainable over time and integrated into decision-making processes. To achieve this, TETTRIs contributes to a transformation of taxonomy in Europe through training, research transfer and innovation.
- Skills4EOSC - Skills for the European Open Science Commons: Creating a Training Ecosystem for Open and FAIR Science
- F.A.I.R. Information Cubes – FAIRiCUBE
A central goal of this project is to leverage the power of machine learning analyses on multidimensional datacubes for a broader range of governance and research institutions from diverse fields, who at present cannot easily access and utilize these potent resources.
- bITEM - Beyond the Item: Biographies and Itineraries of Cultural Heritage Objects in Museums and beyond
Research and development of the bITEM project is hosted at the NHM Vienna as well as at the Vienna Institute for Archaeological Science at the University of Vienna, and formerly the LBI ArchPro. This project is funded by the go!digital 3.0 program of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (GD3.0_2021-17).
DiSSCo is intended to create a European research infrastructure for collection-based data under the umbrella of the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI).
DiSSCo aims to create a so far unaccomplished opening, connection, use and application of natural science collections in the European area and to fundamentally improve the possibilities of making natural science collections available for day-to-day research. Currently, the project is in the preparatory phase with DiSSCo Prepare, which is funded by the European Commission, and will move into the construction phase in 2022.
- OSCA – Open Scientific Collections Austria
- SYNTHESYS +
It consists of the subdivisions Network, Virtual Access, Research und Transnational Access. The latter provides international scientists (with a focus on the EU) with access to the scientific collections of the participating museums.
- COST MOBILISE - Mobilising Data, Policies and Experts in Scientific Collections
- ABOL – The Austrian Barcode of Life
In the long term, ABOL aims at generating DNA barcodes of all Austrian animal, plant, and fungi species. The DNA barcodes will be available in a public online database. Project management and coordination of ABOL are located at the NHM.
- Relaunch Kulturpool / Kulturerbe digital (Digital Cultural Heritage)
NHM Vienna comprehensive projects
- Colonial Acquisition Contexts at the Natural History Museum Vienna (KolText)
Did collections and convolutes come to the NHM Vienna under colonial contexts? What definitions and research strategies are
necessary to answer this question?
The project >>>
Inventory register (Photo: © W. Reichmann)
- Research Project: „Modelling museum pests – insects and fungi – and climate change“.
Since 1. July 2021, this 4-year project, funded by the Austria Academy of Sciences, is based at the NHM. The project is part of the call „Heritage Science“.
The project >>>
Damage from biscuit beetles on a historic book