Like Friedrich Berwerth, Brezina was also very involved with the move from the old premises in the Imperial Palace to the new ones situated on the Ring. Due to his extraordinary efforts in connection with the move and the subsequent re-installation of the collections, he was appointed in his personal capacity as Director of the Mineralogical - Petrographical Department of the Imperial Museum in 1896. He remained in this position until his retirement in 1896. Thereafter, he held the position of Director of the "Viennese Urania" which was founded in 1898, but soon gave up this post. In 1877, Brezina married the daughter of the architect and privy councillor in the Ministry of the Interior, Karl Koechlin. Koechlin’s son, Rudolf Köchlin (1862 - 1939), was also very interested in mineralogy and became a voluntary collaborator at the Mineralogical - Petrographical Department in 1884.
On 25 May 1909, Brezina died in Vienna.
The rare meteorite mineral brezinaite, a chromium sulphide, is named in his honour.