scientific associations

In the university cities of 19th century Austro-Hungarian empire, numerous associations were formed with the aim of furthering scientific knowledge. The Friends of the Sciences Association was founded in 1847. Under the directorship of Eduard Suess, the ‘Association for the Dissemination of Scientific Knowledge’ was founded in Vienna in 1861.  It is still active. The Science Club was founded in 1876, when Ferdinand von Hochstetter was superintendent of the museum. The non-profit association ‘Friends of the Natural History Museum’ was founded in 1923 with the aim of supporting both research and curation. Today, many employees of the Natural History Museum are active as members of scientific bodies and associations. One of the aims of such activity is to communicate current research findings to a wider public. This can be done by means of lectures, symposia, publications, excursions and the fostering of both national and international contacts.

freunde des naturhistorischen museums / friends of the nhm

Further Information Homepage.

anthropologische gesellschaft in wien / anthropological society in vienna

Further Information Homepage.

österreichische gesellschaft für herpetologie (ÖGH) / austrian herpetological society

Further Information Homepage.

österreichische mineralogische gesellschaft (ÖMG) / austrian mineralogical society

Further Information Homepage.

birdLife österreich - gesellschaft für vogelkunde / birdLife austria - austrian ornithological society

Further Information Homepage.

der wiener coleopterologen verein (WCV) / the vienna coleopterist society

Further Information Homepage