82.5 carats

The largest diamond in our collection caused a sensation at the 1898 Imperial Jubilee Exhibition in the Prater due to its 82.5 carats (16.5 grams), its purity, and its perfect crystal shape. Even the
emperor himself admired this exceptional gemstone. Soon afterwards it was offered to the mineralogical department of the imperial and royal Natural History Museum, but the chief chamberlain declined to purchase it. Then in 1899 a “generous benefactor” in the person of factory owner Georg von Haas donated this “extremely precious exhibit of supreme quality” to the museum. On display in Hall IV.

© NHM Wien, Lammerhuber